Artists Council Fall 2021 Exhibition and Sale at the New
Artists Center at the Galen in Palm Desert, California
NEXUS : a connection : a connected group or series : a central point
You are invited to submit your most definitive work to NEXUS, the opening exhibition and sale at the new Artists Center at the Galen. This themed Artists Council exhibition will take place October 15 – November 21, 2021, at the Artists Center at the Galen, 72567 Highway 111, Palm Desert, CA 92260.
NEXUS, a non-juried exhibition, will be presented in person and online in both a flat and a 360-degree virtual gallery. Our aim for NEXUS is to show the outstanding work of as many Artists Council members as possible: to make this happen, artwork will be installed salon style, size will be limited to 36 inches x 36 inches (including frame), and the first 150 submissions will be accepted.
To submit, send your entry on the theme of NEXUS – defined as “a connection, a central group or series, a central point” – starting on July 21, 2021, at 9:00 am PDT, and no later than midnight PDT, August 29, 2021. There is an entry fee of $35 for one work. You must be a member of the Artists Council to apply (you may join at: www.artistscouncil.com).
Join us in celebrating the opening of the new Artists Center at the Galen
– a NEXUS for art in the desert.
How to Submit
1. Submit one artwork on the theme of NEXUS by midnight Sunday, August 29, 2021, by following the instructions you will find when you click this link: How to Submit to NEXUS
2. Up to 150 submissions will be accepted into the show on a first-come basis. (The galley can accommodate only 150 works. Make your submission early to ensure your place!!)
3. Only current members of the Artists Council may participate. To join, go to artistscouncil.com
4. There is a $35 entry/administrative fee, which helps defray the costs of hosting the exhibition in person in the gallery and online. No fees will be refunded after submission.
5. When you submit, you will need to provide a high-resolution photo in JPG format:
Photograph your work straight on with no glare or background
Crop your image tightly; have the image of your work fill the space
If your work is framed, do not include the frame in the image of your work. (However, the frame must be included in your measurement when stating the size – see below.)
For additional guidelines on how to format and size your images, click here.
6. When you submit your entry, you will also be asked to provide an artist’s statement of no more than 100 words describing how your work relates to the NEXUS theme.
7. Please describe your artwork carefully in the entry form. Once a work is submitted, no changes can be made.
Please note: Works that do not meet the following requirements may be rejected on submission or intake.
1. All artwork must be available for sale, at a price of not less than $500. As this is an in-person exhibition with higher production costs, we are returning to the sales split formula of 50% of to the artist, 50% to the Artists Council.
2. Artwork is limited to 2- and 3-dimensional work. No video work can be accepted at this time.
3. Size limits:
Maximum framed size of 2-dimensional art is 36 inches x 36 inches. Minimum framed size is 12 inches on any side. Diptychs or triptychs are allowed, but the size of the entire work, including framing, may not exceed 36 inches x 36 inches.
Three-dimensional artwork cannot exceed 50 pounds, may not exceed 60 inches high by 36 inches wide by 36 inches deep, and must be delivered ready for display. At this time, we cannot accommodate ceiling-hanging pieces or moving parts.
4. Artwork must be ready for hanging or installation:
Artwork on paper must be protected by glass or Plexiglass.
Artwork on canvas or other materials must be finished on the edges.
Two-dimensional artwork must be wired for hanging. No saw-tooth hangers or ceiling mounts.
Three-dimensional artwork must be ready for display.
5. Artwork must be submitted by the artist/maker and must be original in concept, design, and execution. Artwork must not have been created under the direct supervision of an instructor or commercially manufactured or reproduced or incorporate any item that employs commercially available molds or patterns.
6. Artwork must remain at the Artists Center at the Galen gallery and online during the entirety of the exhibition, Friday, October 15, through Sunday, November 21, 2021. Artwork sold by the artist after submission will be withdrawn from the show. Artists may not replace withdrawn artwork with another piece.
7. Artists accepted to the show will be responsible to sit in the gallery for one 2-hour shift during the run of the exhibition. This will be your opportunity to talk about your work – and the work of your fellow artists – to prospective buyers. You will be asked to sign up for your shift when you drop your work off at the Artists Center.
8. All artwork will be reviewed by the Artists Council for appropriate content and adherence to the requirements as outlined in the prospectus.
Drop off to the Artists Center at the Galen, Sales, and Pick Up
Artwork must be delivered to the Artists Center by the artist or his/her agent.
Artwork shipped to the Artists Center will not be accepted. The Artists Center cannot provide special handling for artwork.
Drop off of accepted art will be on Monday, October 11, 9 am –12 noon, at the
Artists Center at the Galen, 72567 Highway 111, Palm Desert, CA 92260.
Sold and unsold art must be picked up at the Artists Center at the Galen on Monday, November 22, 2021, 9 am –12 noon.
Sales tax will be added to the sales price and paid by the buyer.
There are several options for delivery of artwork to the buyer:
The buyer may pick up work from the Artists Center at the Galen on November 22, 9 am –12 noon.
If you and the buyer agree, you have the option of picking up your work from the Artists Center at the Galen on November 22, 9 am –12 noon, and delivering it personally to the buyer, at no charge to the buyer.
If the buyer does not live locally, you will need to arrange to ship your work to the buyer, either yourself or through an agent. The buyer will be responsible for any shipping and associated expenses for artwork they purchase. In this case, we will ask the buyer to send you a check to cover the shipping, after which you or your agent will ship the work. We suggest that you purchase insurance when shipping your work. Artwork being shipped still must be picked up from the Artists Center at the Galen on November 22, 9 am –12 noon.
Submission period: starting at 9:00 am on July 21, 2021, up until midnight on Sunday, August 29, 2021; the first 150 online submissions will be accepted.
Drop off: Monday, October 11, 9 am –12 pm.
Opening and reception fundraiser: Friday, October 15
Exhibition close: Sunday, November 21, 4 pm
Pick up of sold and unsold art: Monday, November 22, 9 am –12:00 pm
By submitting artwork to the Artists Council NEXUS Exhibition and Sale, the individual
artist acknowledges and agrees that he/she:
Has read and agrees to all conditions of entry.
Releases the rights for use of images of his/her artwork in any Artists Council promotional and marketing materials.
Is responsible for insurance for his/her artwork. Neither the Artists Council nor its officers, directors, staff, or volunteers, nor anyone connected with the Artists Council or this exhibition will be responsible for theft of, loss of, or damage to artwork, however caused.
A completed W-9 form will be required for artwork sold during the show.
For further information or questions, please contact the Artists Council at email@example.com